I was trying to see if I could switch from Evernote to Notes. Don’t get me wrong, I love Evernote, but with all the hubbub lately around Evernote, I thought it was safe to explore options outside of my walled garden of Evernote.
I figured by trying Apple Notes, I would see if a built in App would work for me. Here is what I found.
Things I liked in Notes
- Drawings – this was great. Evernote does not have this option the way Notes does
- Safari Integration – I like the share sheet.. to be clear, Evernote has a great web clipper, so no real win here
- Speed of launching. Notes was fast. (I also had far less notes in it)
- Title, Header and Paragraph formatting. The ability to hit CTRL T for a title, CTRL H for a header.. so awesome.
Things I missed from Evernote
The ability to copy a link to a note and use it somewhere. I do this all the time within Evernote, Omnifocus, etcFIXED: See Here
- Tables. Yes, Evernote tables suck.. but its better than no tables
- Sharing of notes. Getting a public URL is just so nice
- Search limited to a folder – no way to do this in notes NOTE: Learning more search modifiers is helping me.
- Searching for edited files within the past week that had checkboxes. It’s a great tool to help me track un-done items from meeting notes. Notes has no way to track check boxes
- IFTTT integration. I have a recipe that takes my meetings that are coming up and creates a new note for meeting notes. Saves a little time, but it’s nice.
Anyway.. for now.. back to Evernote. I will deal with the speed issues and lack of formatting types for now.